Friday, March 3, 2017

Too Many Funerals

Apologies for the lack of posts this week; having to go to my second funeral in two months for people younger than myself is killing my desire to write and even to read. Especially this funeral, for the 18-year-old son of my best friend from college. A totally unexpected and heartrending loss.



Any recommendations for romances that deal with the death of a child?

Or perhaps ones which start with the ultimate anti-meet-cute—a funeral?

Or when you're faced with the inexpressibly tragic, would you rather read a light-as-dandelion-fluff romance?





Photo credit:
Dandelion: Flickr (Lisame0511)

7 comments:

  1. True life story; I have dear friends who met at a mutual friend's funeral.

    I am sorry for your friend's so very sad loss and how hard it is bearing witness to this and carrying your own grief.

    I read PNR and UF when faced with this sort of hammering. For me it's not so much the escape as needing that sense of agency over the monstrous. I can't read contemporary in this state cos the HEA seems unbelievable in the face of it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry for the heartbreak in your life. Sending prayers and good thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry. I usually go much lighter when dealing with sadness or comfort like Laurenston's Pride Series. However, this year dealing with my beloved's unending health crisis I have gone crazy dark from time to time. Take good care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The ultimate meet cute at a funeral is in the movie, Harold and Maude (1974?). It's a very unconventional love story and a much watch for everyone. It's a dark comedy, so be prepared. It used to be available on Netflix (not sure if it still is).

    ReplyDelete
  5. My sympathies.

    Whether I read heavy or light is variable. During the long period in which a friend of mine was dying, I read very heavy. In the current situation, I seem to lean more towards light -- or heavy at a distance, such as historical romance.

    Funeral meet: Naked in Death, which you've probably already met.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry you are grieving. I often think of romance as the place we go when we are sad, but some sadnesses are too big for that kind of comfort. I hope you can find some reading that lifts your spirits. Spring will come soon. There's always that. Thinking of you in the dark time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, everyone, for the sympathy and the reading/viewing recommendations. I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete